Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Dear Rich Mullins: Ragamuffin New Release Review

This is a product review for the DVD Ragamuffin



This is a personal review following my DVD review on my Blog, Parenting Healthy.
 See the release review and enter to win a copy of Ragamuffin at http://bit.ly/1k0KMTj

Dear Rich Mullins,

We have never met, but you do know me. Our stories are very different, but we are the same. I am of one who struggled so long with a broken past that I had lost faith. As much as I felt I had no one, I truly felt I was so alone that God had left as well. I want to thank you. Thank you so much for your story and I was lucky enough to preview the film, Ragamuffin.

I had heard your music, but never knew your story. My past involves 6 years trapped in a dangerous domestic violent relationship. I was born Catholic and was a girl without a care in the world and one man took that all away. I was isolated by him, but eventually I learned to isolate myself from others as well. What started as a way to hide my life at the time turned into a switch that stuck in the 'On' position for many years even after escaping my abuser and I would keep myself disconnected from loved ones for years. I was around after leaving my abuser, but not connected. I could never find that connection. Just emptiness around others hiding my fear and pain.

To see into the mind and soul of someone like myself while I watched your story was such a blessing. You mention that the more you got out and talked to people the more it would remind you that you have words to say and a story tell. A decade after leaving my abuser, I forced myself out of my own shell and started writing. You wrote music and I wrote a book. I had a story to tell and connections to make again. I had a purpose to find.

Let me thank you in this only way I know how. Thank you for your film and your words in it. You state that...you not only wondered if God loved you, but if he even liked you! In my darkest times while I held my bloody face after a beating I would just become numb to the constant and almost daily pain and wonder that same thing. I abandoned God for years because of what he had done to me and to just leave me there? I blamed him. You say that people use the phrase 'time heals all wounds, but in your case time made them worse". A decade after leaving my abuser I was still afraid. I would shut down and disconnect from my (current) husband and children. It created stress in my marriage and my depression almost did as much damage to me as the abuse itself. You state how you can be near someone-even touching and still feel locked out. I have never heard a better description to how a depressed mind feels at every moment than that. It was that in which I refer to to as a disconnect. I was disconnected. I loved everyone. I loved my family, but I was locked out emotionally. 

I married my current husband shortly after escaping my abuser. In fact I dated hime right away, but as you also mention in regards to Jess...When you are with her, you feel something you have not felt in a long time..you felt home. With the stress and loneliness after leaving my abuser, my husband was there for me and that is exactly why I let him in emotionally at the time-I felt at home! 

"Did you believe that I loved you?" Thank you for sharing that sermon with us all and thank you for showing us the emotions that brought to you. In the end, if we are asked just one question at the gate, let that be that. Let the one's who suffered like so many, found a purpose and loved everyone despite their pain provide Jesus with the most honest answers over everyone else. Sharing emotions as trapped as we are is so hard. Writing my book was both self-healing and emotional at the same time, but it is my purpose to remind others they are not alone. Thank you for reminding me of that.

-Erin Sluka

*Rich Mullins passed in 1997. I decided to format this post as a letter anyhow.


Disclosure: Parenting healthy was provided the above film. All opinions are 100% my own


12 comments:

  1. Such a great letter. You should post it to his FaceBook page, he might just read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tara, I think he might like to read it. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing what God can do! Praise Him for His mercy and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erinn ~ I had no idea of your painful past. I am so glad that you came out of that relationship alive and with the spirit to move on. I love your letter and I also believe that somehow he sees or feels your words. My prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This DVD sounds like it is a fascinating story.

    Nancy
    allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to hear that you escaped an abusive situation and found love.
    I can relate as it took me nine years to escape and violently abusive situation. I know for me I was disconnected from my family and friends because of the control and abusive. And it took me years after to become open and close with my family and friends again. It took me longer to be able to trust and love again. But in the end I found a wonderful and loving husband,
    I would really love to see this movie and to share it with my husband.

    jweezie43[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  7. After losing two children, a son to SIDS and .a daughter to suicide, I surely know the meaning of depression and the thought that God must hate me or if there even is one. I would love to see this dvd. What a heartfelt letter and thank you for sharing Erinn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like such a heartfelt good movie. I definitely want to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is amazing what an abuser can do to your life...great story to share with everyone

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your heartfelt letter and the DVD sounds great. The issue is hitting close to home for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey lady! Saw that you entered another FP giveaway on another blog and wanted to share this one with you also that I’m hosting through Monday. Good luck!
    Giveaway: FP Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's just I think Cheap Archeage Gold I really know the position you're in because I have lived it at length. You cannot change her, you must change yourself so you can just deal with her. When you do that, you might find that's Archeage Gold she's not so bad and you can be friends. I'm like pollyanna though, I just think that people should find the good in Buy RS Gold others and shrug off the bad, if you love someone that Buy Archeage Gold is the greatest thing.

    ReplyDelete